Monday, October 3, 2011

6 Month Treatment

As some of you may know I have been dealing with some health problems this past year. My mom saw a doctor on KSL and said that he specialized in Hashimoto, the disease that I have. When she told me my heart just jumped. Nobody has really been able to really help me other than give me medication and some supplements. She couldn't remember his name, but then got back to me and told me. I made an appointment right away. My mom and sister, Nakoa, went with me in hopes he could also help Nakoa. She has type 2 Diabetes and PCOS. Making a long story short we decided to do his program together! I want to be thorough for those that are curious about the program and the disease I have.

First off, Hashimoto is an autoimmune disease where my system is attaching my thyroid and slowly eating away at it. The side effects I have had are: severe anxiety, depression, headaches, soreness in my hands, sick to my stomach almost everyday, very tired most of the day, cramps, foggy brain (forgetting words), diarrhea, cold all the time, weight gain, muscle soreness, loss of hair, heart palipatations. These are just the ones I can think of. Some of these have gone away since I started medication, and some come and go. I haven't really had a good day where I haven't felt tired or sick for a while. With all of these side effects you can see why I am so excited to do this program.

The program is 6 months long. I started off with a blood test. When I went back they gave some other tests.. :) One of them was a saliva test and the other was a stool sample. LOL I know I know. This was not my favorite, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The next step starting today is an Anti-Inflammatory Diet. I think the doc said that I have inflammation around my heart and liver. This diet is to reduce the inflammation. There are foods that I could be eating that are inflamming the Hashimoto and making things worse. Here is what the diet consists of.


Things to Avoid:

*Any food that you are allergic to
*Dairy (milk, cheese, Yogurt, butter) eggs, margarine, & shortening
*Food prepared with gluten. Example: wheat, oats, rye, barley; those ingredients are normally found in breads, pasta, cereals, etc.
*Tomatoes and tomato sauces, corn, white potatoes, red potatoes, rice
*Alcohol, caffeine (coffee, black tea), sodas, Fruit juices
*Sugar and artifical sweeteners
*Soy or products made from soy, such as soy milk or tofu
*peanuts, peanut butter, peanut oil (anything with peanuts)
*Beef, pork, cold cuts, bacon, hot dogs, canned meat, sausage, shell fish
*Dehydrated fruit


Foods to eat:

*Drink plenty of fresh water (8-10 glasses), herbal teas, and decaffeinated green tea
*Quinoa and buckwheat (NOT with whole grains added)
*Fresh fruits and vegetables
*beans(navy, white, kidney, garbanzo, black, etc)
*peas (split, fresh, snap)
*mainly fish, except shellfish, and moderate amounts of chicken, turkey, and lamb (select fish which is less prone to heavy metal contimination)
*Use mainly olive oil, coconut oil, and flaxseed oil (in moderation)
*Unsweetened almond milk
*These nuts in raw form: cashews, almonds, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts.


In addition they gave us some anti-inflammatory supplements along with a drink supplement. They luckily gave us some recipes that help a lot as well. This is my first day and I feel like I am doing ok. I definitely need to bring more snacks to munch on during the day at work though. I get empty fast.

1 comment:

  1. Mariah! I had no idea this has been happening! I hope this new diet will make things better for you. If you need anything, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete