Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day 7

Today is day 7 of the diet. I forgot to mention in the last post that this diet will last 3 weeks and then the doctor will start adding foods once my tests come in. The first day of the diet was definitely harder than the following days. I was constantly hungry and I felt like I was snacking all day.
Almond milk has saved me this week. When I felt really hungry it helped me feel better for a longer period of time. The food hasn't been bad at all. I have been concentrating more on what meat I will have for the day since that is what fills me up for the most part. I thought the fish was what might kill me because I am not a big fish lover. I found some fish that hasn't been that fishy like tilapia, halibut, and tuna, and mahi mahi. I added garlic and onion powder which made it taste really good. I was surprised, but then when you are hungry anything tastes good. :) I have had to be really careful with certain things as well because tuna in the can has soy and there is a lot of stuff like turkey bacon or turkey burger that has sugar in it. I checked pretty much all of the cans on the store shelf to see if there was any cans of tuna w/o soy or something I can't have. Overall my I feel like my body is adjusting and doesn't need as much to eat.

I have still been sick here and there, but it does seem that I'm not sick as often as I use to be. The doctor said that my estrogen level is really high and suggested I stop taking my birth control. I think that was what was making me so severely sick more often. I know before I stopped taking it my body would have episodes where it just went crazy like it was trying to get rid of something. He also indicated that birth control pill is what can sometimes start or even cause the hashimoto. The heart palpitations returned for a couple of days at the start of the diet, but then disappeared later in the week. Even though I have drastically changed my diet I haven't lost one pound. So discouraging, but I hope this changes. I am a bit more tired, but I think I am only handling this because I can sleep in a little bit because of school. Thank goodness!

Surprisingly, cutting out the sugar hasn't been as hard as I thought it would. It is definitely easier cutting out the sugar completely rather than eating just a little bit here and there. I am definitely hoping I don't have to cut out the chocolate or popcorn.. some of my favorites!
I am hoping for more changes this next week. I know not all of them will go away for good, but I definitely hoping it improves.

The doctor gave me book and it already is really so interesting. It is called "Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms?" I know that seeing my other regular doctor he just gave medication to treat the loss of my thyroid or the symptoms of the loss of it. They weren't treating the autoimmune part of it or what my immune system was doing to my thyroid. In the book they talk about the program, what they do and why they do it. I haven't read it all, but it is very interesting. Sometimes I carry my recipe book around and some people have asked me about it. They themselves have the disease or someone they know has it. It is kind of crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment